What is PB4L?
The School-Wide framework Positive Behaviour for Learning School Wide (PB4LSW) is a long term approach that supports us here at St Anne's School to create a culture where positive behaviour and learning thrive. Students are taught in very specific terms what behaviours are expected of them. There is a consistent response to these behaviours across the school. The framework has been adopted the Positive Behavioural Interventions and Support (PBIS) framework from the United States.
The Principles Behind PB4L..
Positive Behaviour for Learning believes:
- Positive behaviour can be learnt and difficult and disruptive behaviour can be unlearnt.
- Individual children are not a 'problem' - we need to change the environment around them to support positive behaviour.
- Punishing and isolating children doesn't bring about long-term and sustainable changes in behaviour.
- We need to concentrate on a small number of evidence-based programmes and frameworks that we know work.
- There are no quick fixes. Behaviour change takes time.
The Difference PB4L Will Make..
- Children and young people will be more engaged and will achieve at school.
- Teachers and leaders will spend more time teaching and less stressed.
- Educators will keep more children and young people at school, will feel confident and will feel supported in addressing behaviour problems.
- Parents and whanau will have more positive relationships with their children and home will be more positive and harmonious.
- School leaders and Boards will celebrate the learning and achievement of all their students.